The Virtual Learning Environment or VLE is a content platform for curating your module materials, managing electronic grading processes and interactivity, and it provides the supported, common interface required by the University’s Blended Learning Strategy.
Main University VLE support site, maintained by the VLE Team
Primary support for the VLE is handled by the Universities VLE Team, there support pages have areas for both staff and students and cover a comprehensive A-Z of guides for using the VLE (Main staff site: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/vle/staff/).
VLE Introduction: Staff orientation Guide
As a follow-on to the basic guide have a look at this 10 Ways to improve your module guide
Other useful guides (UoL)
- Communication and Collaboration: Announcements, Blogs, Wikis, Journals and Discussion boards
- Module and Organisation Enrolments: Enrolments and Roles
- Content Creation and Management: Structure & Content
- Assessments and Tests: Turnitin, Blackboard Assignments, Tests (Quizzes), Survey’s
- Engagement: Groups, Adaptive Release and Sign-up Lists
- Audio and Video: YouTube, Box of Broadcasts and iTunesU
Blackboard’s own guides
- Communication and Collaboration: Announcements, Wikis, Blogs, Journals, Discussions, Interactive Tools in Action
- Module and Organisation Enrolments: Enrolments and roles
- Content Creation and Management: In Your Course, Course Content
- Assessments and Tests: Blackboard Assignments, Tests, Surveys, and Pools, Grade Center
- Engagement: Groups, Adaptive Release
The University of York have developed this great ‘Getting Started’ set of video guides.
Note: Although The University of York uses the same make of VLE as the University of Leeds (Blackboard) their branding and processes differ e.g Accessing the VLE.
Short link to the YouTube playlist page: https://goo.gl/aMWRuA
Click on the playlist icon to show all the videos that are in the playlist.