Each year the New Media Consortium (NMC) an international community of experts in educational technology. Their role is to advise their member institutions to drive innovation across their campuses. Each year the NMC publishes their Horizon Report which takes a look at what they believe will shape Higher Education over the coming five years.
The Horizon Report is presented in three sections ‘Key Trends’ that will accelerate technology adoption, ‘Significant Challenges’ that might impede technology adoption and ‘Important Developments’ in educational technology. These three areas are further refined indicating timescales that the trends and developments might take to develop and the severity of difficulty that a particular Challenges poses.
Key Trends Accelerating Technology Adoption in Higher Education
Short-Term Impact Trends (1-2 years)
- Growing Focus on Measuring Learning
- Increasing Use of Blended Learning
Mid-Term Impact Trends (3-5 years)
- Redesigning Learning Spaces
- Shift to Deeper Learning Approaches
Long-Term Impact trends (5+ years)
- Advancing Cultures of Innovation
- Rethinking How Institutions Work
Significant Challenges Impeding Technology Adoption in Higher Education
Solvable Challenges: Those that we understand and know how to solve.
- Blending Formal and Informal Learning
- Improving Digital Literacy
Difficult Challenges: Those that we understand but for which the solution is elusive.
- Competing Models of Education
- Personalizing Learning
Wicked Challenges: Those that are complex to even define, much less address.
- Balancing Our Connected and Unconnected Lives
- Keeping Education Relevant
Important Developments in Educational Technology for Higher Education
Time-to-Adoption: One Year or Less
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
- Learning Analytics and Adaptive Learning
Time-to-Adoption: Two to Three Years
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
Time-to-Adoption: Four to Five Years
- Affective Computing
The NMC Horizon Project (previous reports)